BRUSSELS- Sahrawi deputy minister for Europe Mohamed Sidati urged Wednesday the European Union (EU) to intervene to contribute to the “immediate and unconditional” release of the Sahrawi political prisoners of Gdeim Izik group.
“We call on EU to intervene to contribute to the immediate and unconditional release of these Sahrawi political prisoners, by referring to human rights clauses enshrined in the partnership agreements with Rabat,” he told APS, underlining that such an action is likely to “contribute to the relaunch of UN peace process concerning Western Sahara, blocked by the Moroccan occupier so far.”
Pointing out the worrying circumstances in which their trial is taking place, Mohamed Sidati affirmed that EU “cannot remain indifferent” as it emanates from Morocco, a State related to EU by association and good neighbourhood agreements.
In this regard, the Sahrawi minister dubbed “illegal” the trial of the Sahrawi political prisoners of Gdeim Izik for more than one reason, insofar as it takes place outside Western Sahara, “non-self governing territory according to UN, separate from Morocco according to the Court of Justice of the European Union.
He underlined, in this regard, that “only an impartial body, respecting the rule of procedures, meeting equity and law criteria, in the presence of international observers and guaranteeing the rights of defence, will legitimately be able to judge them,” regretting that it is far from being the case.
BRUSSELS – Sahrawi Deputy Minister for Europe Mohamed Sidati urged, Thursday in Brussels, the European Union to take "firm actions" to solve the conflict in Western Sahara, in accordance with the United Nations resolutions, which provide for the self-determination of Sahrawi people.
"I urge the EU to take firm actions for the resolution of the conflict, in accordance with the UN Charter," said Sidati at a meeting at the European Parliament on Western Sahara
While addressing the members of the EP Delegation for Relations with Maghreb Countries, who decided to devote their meeting to the Western Sahara issue, Sidati said that the EU, bound by a "special partnership" with the Kingdom of Morocco, "should exert pressure on Morocco to solve the conflict."
"You have the legal and moral responsibility to end the conflict," he told MEPs.
Sidati also deplored the behaviour of some MEPs, who "lent credibility to Rabat's propaganda," adding that in doing so, "they did harm to Sahrawi refugees, whose means of subsistence have been significantly affected by the cut in humanitarian aid."
The Sahrawi official also denounced Morocco's repeated attempts to impede the UN-sponsored peace process, adding that Morocco's numerous manoeuvres, especially the violation of the ceasefire in the buffer zone of Al-Guergarat and the expulsion of the civilian staff of the UN Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO) "jeopardize peace in the region."
BRUSSELS (Belgium)- Saharawi deputy minister for Europe, Mohamed Sidati, has called on the European Union to assume its responsibilities towards the Saharawi people by supporting the effective implementation of the UN resolutions that set out their right to self-determination.
"The EU should assume responsibility and abide by the international law by making sure that sovereignty violations do not continue, and ensuring its member states are not accomplices in the occupation of Western Sahara by Morocco," Sidati wrote in a contribution published Friday on the European news website euractiv.com.
In his findings released in September in the case Polisario Front vs the European Union Council about the agreement on exchange of agricultural produce and fishing with Morocco, The general attorney of the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU), underlined that Western Sahara territory is on the UN non-autonomous list since 1963, and which is linked to UN resolution on colonial people's right to self-determination.
"Saharawi people turn to Europe, which is a model in the basic values of liberty, democracy and respect of the international law," he said.
"We turn to the EU which will have to show a clear commitment to abiding by the international law, by making sure the use of Western Sahara's natural resources is not included in EU-Morocco agreement and by conforming to the decision of the Court of Justice of the European Union."
BRUSSELS- Measures must be taken quickly to enable the full implementation of the mandate of the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO) and the relaunch of the peace process, pleaded the Sahrawi Deputy Minister for European Affairs Mohamed Sidati.
“MINURSO must regain its full functionality so that the peace process, currently at standstill, can be put back on the rails and so that we can resolutely embark on the implementation of the pertinent resolutions of the United Nations,” Sidati told APS.
The resolution 2285 of UN Security Council, passed on 30 April 2016 to extend by one year the MINURSO mandate, “doesn’t adopt a sufficiently firm tone vis-à-vis Morocco” which expelled in March the civilian staff of this mission, said Sidati who underlined that the Council “failed to keep its commitments” by missing the opportunity to “force Morocco to respect the international legality.”
The expulsion of most of the members of the civilian staff of MINURSO is “a very dangerous precedent” for other UN peacekeeping missions, reaffirmed the Sahrawi minister, pointing out that this act “weakens the prospects for a fair and peaceful solution in Western Sahara.”
According to Sidati, the Moroccan policy is a source of “serious concern” and constitutes “a real threat to peace in the region,” adding that it is an attitude that encourages instability, insecurity for the Maghreb and the entire region.
“The situation can get out of hand at any moment,” he warned.
He reiterated his call to the UN Security Council and the international community to assume their responsibilities vis-à-vis the Sahrawi people, denouncing the “incredible” and “astounding” attitude of France and Spain which have, he added, “a big responsibility in the tragedy endured by the Sahrawi people for decades.”
BRUSSELS- The Sahrawi Deputy Minister for European Affairs Mohamed Sidati called on Monday the European Union (EU) to support “the effective implementation” of the United Nations’ resolutions which provide for the Sahrawi people’s right to self-determination.
In a letter to EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini, the Sahrawi minister asked EU’s bodies to “seize the opportunity of the visit of the UN Secretary General to Western Sahara to support the effective implementation of UN resolutions stating the right of the Sahrawi people to self-determination”
According to Sidati, the stability and peace in the region depend on a fair resolution of the Sahrawi conflict, a resolution which respects and guarantees the rights and freedom of the Sahrawi people.
The cancellation of the EU-Morocco agreement on mutual liberalization in terms of agricultural products, processed agricultural products, fish and fishery products on 10 December 2015 by EU Court of Justice on the basis that it includes the Sahrawi territory, is “ a rejection of any Moroccan claims to sovereignty over Western Sahara,” he added.
The European Union, linked with Morocco by a “privileged partnership,” he said, has “strong obligations,” those of respecting and ensuring that the Sahrawi people’s rights are respected when it signs agreements with Morocco.
DAKHLA (Sahrawi Refugee Camps)- The Sahrawi deputy minister for Foreign Affairs Mohamed Sidati dubbed Thursday, in Dakhla, “important,” “relevant” the report of the European Parliament on Human Rights which particularly calls for the extension of the mandate of the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO) to the monitoring of human rights in Western Sahara.
“The European parliament, in its report on human rights, adopted a very important and especially exhaustive text concerning Western Sahara,” Sidati told APS, on the sidelines of the 2nd day of the 14th Polisario Front congress.
“It is a very important and relevant resolution which has just been adopted at year end, to say just how much the Western Sahara issue has gained support in Europe,” he said.
“The resolution obtained a large majority thus becoming an official document of the European Union (EU),” he explained, recalling that the report will be presented to the United Nations Council for Human Rights.
Sidati recalled that this report calls on the one hand, for the freedom and expression for Sahrawi populations in the occupied territories and calls, on the other hand, for the immediate release of Sahrawi political prisoners, just as he stressed on the need to endow the MINURSO with a mandate for the protection and the monitoring of human rights in Western Sahara.
Furthermore, the European Parliament demands, in the favour of this resolution, the freedom of access to European Parliamentarians and human rights activists to occupied Sahrawi territories.
DAKHLA (Sahrawi Refugee Camps)- Sahrawi people will not exclude any options to assert their rights if the international community declares itself incapable to continue its peace process in occupied Western Sahara said Thursday, in Dakhla (Tindouf), the Sahrawi deputy minister of European Affairs, Mohamed Sidati.
“If the international community declares itself incapable to continue its peace process, especially implementing it to allow the Sahrawi people to exercise their unalienable right to self-determination, the Sahrawi people will not exclude any options, and all the options are on the table,” he told APS, on the sidelines of the 14th Polisario Front Congress.
Sidati, also President of the preparatory commission of the 14th Polisario Congress underlined that “it is up to the world to react faster and more urgently to save the prospect of peace, undertaken by the international community and the United Nations.”
In this regard, he said that the “Sahrawi people’s message through the participants at this congress will be strong, clear, determined and sharp.”
Furthermore, Sidati said that the decision of the European court, on the cancellation of the agreement on trade liberalization of Morocco’s agricultural and fishery products signed in March 2012 between Morocco and the European Union means that the Sahrawi cause “is making significant progress in Europe.”
BRUSSELS (Belgium)- The Polisario Front denounced the holding of the 2015 Crans Montana Forum in the occupied city of Dakhla, Western Sahara, and considered it as "an affront" to the international community and to the Sahrawi people, said the Sahrawi news agency SPS.
In a letter to President of Crans Montana Forum Jean Paul Carteron, the Polisario Front Representative to the European Union, Mohamed Sidati expressed his “frustration and disappointment” about the decision to hold the Crans Montana Forum in Dakhla in the occupied Western Sahara, said the same source.
Sidati underlined that “the Western Sahara is registered by the United Nations as a non-self-governing territory pending decolonization and is regarded as 'Africa's last colony',” adding that “the International Court of Justice recognized the right of the Sahara’s people to self-determination as have many United Nations resolutions.”
“Morocco’s occupation is sustained through insidiously subduing the Saharawi people and their legitimate claims,” said the Sahrawi official, underlining the daily human rights abuses, like arbitrary detention, torture, military trials for civilians, and restrictions on freedoms of movement and association.”
Sidatipointed out “the gravity of the situation in Western Sahara” and calledon the organizers of the Forum not to supporta repressive regime, which denies the Sahrawi people their basic right to self-determination.